Objectives: To process the data from the Squamish seniors community mapping workshop and create a paper map. The map will be designed to fit on a tabloid (11" x 17") sheet of paper. It will be monochromatic and double sided.
Phase 1: Workshop and Data Collection
- Maeve instructions
- Reg DIST BASE MAP
- Mapping Workshop
Phase 2: Digitizing Data (Current Phase)
- Obtain shape files of roads and water features for basemap.
- Points of interest from workshop recorded in ArcMap as point layer.
- Point Layer data table exported into Excel Spreadsheet.
- Created Draft layout in ArcMap displaying all the points of interest, legends and general layout.
Phase 3: Data Review
- Send hardcopy of draft layout and excel spreadsheet to Squamish for review and additional input by community members.
- Adding/Removing locations that were missed or are not appropriate.
- Spatial Correction of current locations. Are points in the right locations?
- Review of current categories. Both the categories themselves and the points allocated to each category.
- Add descriptive information to points of interest.
- Return reviewed data to Victoria.
Phase 4: Edit Data
- Add new points of interest and descriptive data to ArcMap.
- Make suggested changes to original point locations in ArcMap.
Phase 5: Cartographic Enhancement
- Import data into Adobe Illustrator.
- Adjust line work and shading schemes.
- Replace points with greenmap symbols.
- Replace auto labels with individual labels.
- Export map to pdf format and print hardcopy.
Phase 6: Cartographic Review
- Send hardcopy of map to Squamish for review and input on aesthetics from community members.
- Find additional photos or artwork.
- Critique layout, shading schemes and text elements.
- Return map to Victoria with suggestions and critiques.
Phase 7: Cartographic Editing
- Integrate feedback from community members into cartographic design.
Phase 8: Publication